Ledge of Darkness - a gist

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Sun Aug 19 20:33:47 EDT 2007

I'm probably going to regret this but I can't resist a challenge.....   When
it first arrived I looked through it and promptly filed it under "Utterly
Incomprehensible".   However I've now had a read through with notebook and
pencil to see if it makes any sense at all this is what I've come up with:

Ledge of Darkness

The underlying precept seems to be a Hawkwind band history using the conceit
that a cosmic conflict between two alien races at the dawn of the Universe
before Earth was formed from the Ledge of Darkness influences the continual
coming and going of band members.    One alien race creates a destructive
psychic sound effect and the other side creates a mythical group of
Hawklords to counter it.   And when on 20th century Earth Del creates his
Delatron sound at the dawn of Hawkwind's formation this allows the Hawkwind
persona to merge with the mythical Hawklords.    Interactions between
opposing alien forces and the Hawklords take place and a mythical Earth is
formed of Strangeness.    But Strangeness decays and Hawkwind band members
in both the real and mythical worlds are continually lost because they
succumb to the decay of Strangeness so new members are steadily recruited to
take their place.

The mythical Hawklords on-going struggle with opposing forces is represented
by the emergence of various Hawkwind song titles - Brain Storm / Death Trap
etc while Doug Smith arrives and departs in strange guise in the mythic
world to rescue the band at significant moments.   The support of ghost
members of Hawkwind at a crucial time eventually creates an effect so
immense that the alien warring factions are consumed by it and the surviving
Hawkwind band members return to the real world as humans.   They later meet
up with a Punk who inadvertently creates a computer generated wave so
intense that Hawkwind disappear in 1985.    Calvert goes in search of them
and sets about recreating Delatron with Del and there follows a period when
many small bands are formed all playing Delatronised Music while Nic Turner
goes touring.

Hawkwind eventually reappear but they have become a Monster of Rock (a
rather large squidgy looking pudding with tentacles) and this is clearly
considered to be Not A Good Thing.   So when the Hawkwind Agglomerate
Monster of Rock turns up to play at Stonehenge it is lured inside the stones
and surrounded by a Delatronised music shield.  This causes the monster to
explode releasing the real Hawkwind from stasis along with lots of bubbles
(a reference to Barney Bubbles here?).    And thus it ends - the rest being,
I suppose, unwritten history as yet.

But I don't suppose this makes any more sense than the graphic book!
cheers
jill

Jill Strobridge <jill.strobridge at blueyonder.co.uk>