OFF: SLEEP broken up?? sob

Mon Dec 3 11:54:13 EST 2007

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 02:40:08PM -0600, Delta-Wave typed out:
> so is Exodus too fast to be blanga and maybe Sleep too slow???
> at any rate, they broke up???
> I argued with (Matt) the guitarist that I'd find their first LP, but I got
> too high and it looks like he won
> anybody wanna trade some hawkwind CD's for Demo 1, Demo 2, and Dopesmoker???

	Sleep broke up ages ago! But the good news is that Matt's
subsequent band, High On Fire, are not at all the worst thing in the
world, and some of what they've done (which is like, two and a half
albums already isn't it? lawks, no, four, though the first one was on
Man's Ruin and will therefore be unobtainable except lucky second-
hand)[1] I actually like better than the Sleep I know (which is
little--my whole life's about too little sleep, ha aha ahaha). Faster
and angrier than Sleep, but this can also be good. A better shift for
the stoner than that from Kyuss to Queens of the Stone Age anyway. I'm
going to see QotSA tomorrow night and I'm not at all sure it's a good
idea... Yours,
		Jon (who does, y'see, have to give a lecture the next
morning)

[1] Does anyone else have the Man's Ruin Chrome album with Tommy Grenas
on it? I found it in a rack in Brighton and bought it because it was
Man's Ruin, a strategy that has only occasionally delivered me
absolutely unwanted turkeys (stay away from a band called Stone Fox,
okay?) I'm guessing that Chrome's `real' stuff on it is not like that,
but some of it (*some* of it) is pretty compelling. Anyone care to
compare?
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk