Astoria last night

Steve Bishop steve.bishop at DB.COM
Thu Dec 20 05:54:49 EST 2007

Thought the bass could've been raised in the mix a bit, it seemed to get
reduced after about half the gig ...........

Was downstairs throughout, dead centre and about midway between stage and
mixing desk - sound was good though did wonder if Tim switched off
accidentally at one point ? Talkin of Tim, what's the name of that 'gizmo' he
'plays' with his hands please ?

Support act ? Each to their own but I thought they were errrrm 'not good' -
they really didn't seem suited to the Hawkwind fan-base and agree that the
support band invariably isn't. Wouldn't like to speculate on why that is

             Steve Freight
             <stevefreight at GMAI
             L.COM>                                                        To
             Sent by:                   BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
             BOC/Hawkwind                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <BOC-L at LISTSERV.IS                                       Subject
             PNETINC.NET>               Re: Astoria last night

             20/12/2007 10:39

             Please respond to
                BOC/Hawkwind
              Discussion List
             <BOC-L at LISTSERV.IS
                PNETINC.NET>

I agree - the sound was full and I've always had time for Mr Dibs. Just
thought his vocals could have been a bit forward in the mix as sometimes I
seemed to lose his vocals.

I was upstairs at the start and the sound up there seemed very distorted -
moved downstairs and the sound was fine.

Don't know if the distortion effect was why I did not like the support act -
don't think so somehow. This raised a discussion point last night - why are
Hawkwind support bands invariably poor?

Apart from all nighters / festivals the following were the good ones we came
up with.

Krel
Spacehead
Man
Beautiful People

The rest we had a job recalling - anyone else have a favourite support band?

Steve

On 12/20/07, Steve Bishop <steve.bishop at db.com> wrote:

> Really enjoyed it - have to say I was one of the biggest sceptics re Mr
> Dibs
> but thought he did excellently last night, his sound is not quite as full
> and
> fat as Alan's but do prefer his vocals - and not sorry to see the back of
> Greenback Massacre either ! Paradox was brilliant, as was Master, Time we
> Left, Utopia and Damnation Alley. Would have liked to have heard Lord of
> Light
> or Down Through the Night or Born to Go but can't have evrything. Band
> looked
> pretty happy, irrespective of the germs they said they were harbouring !
> Tim
> was very welcome addition and the sound seemed very full and, dare I say
> it,
> not quite as clinically reliant on the computer programmes as previously ?
> Dunno, got the feeling they could have just gone off jamming at a tangent
> if
> they'd fancied it .........
>
> Happy to have my thoughts Shot Down in the Night (hey, that's one I
> haven't
> heard them do for a while !!) but it's only mho ............
>
> Steve
> ---

> are
> not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please
> notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
> strictly
> forbidden.
>
> Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for
> additional
> EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.

---