(OFF)Re: Astoria last night This is a long one, sorry,

vzenv14m maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Dec 26 21:27:20 EST 2007

Hi Al,
Currently even weed is dealt in mass levels by criminals, if it's legalized,
it will be controlled by different ones.  I don't know which group is worse.
If it were legalized there'd be all kinds of conditions and restrictions put
on it, and who knows where the money that it generates will go. Uncle Sam
won't let it go back to the growers.   I believe if a person can handle it
they should be able to get high on their own time.  Unfortunately, I think
this is a theoretical issue, I remember back in the late '60's people were
sure pot would be legal in 5 years.  I intuitively knew it would not be
likely in my lifetime.  I've heard from someone in another state where grass
is decriminalized for medical use, that government weed is really good.  I
wouldn't know, from experience, unfortunately.  I think we need a more
enlightened understanding of drug use, and instead of 0 tolerance there
should be 100 per cent tolerance, and if weed is illegal tobacco should be
to.
Bill's right, it's gone too far, and when people pull the holier than thou
trip, that's wrong.  Albert, in a lot of ways I agree with you, I certainly
sympathize for how it must get in small spaces as a musician.  Smoke never
should have been made illegal back in '37 in the first place, but there's
too much money and power causing the control of everything from our rights
to our attitudes about weed  When I am exposed to commercial radio, or MTV
there seems to be a strong anti-marijuana bit of propaganda going down.
Ron and Maggie, were sort of brilliant in their own way, keep the people
f**ked up on Contra coke and let them party as much as they want, and most
of the people won't care about what's really going on.  We met a campaign
worker for old Ron in '83 and he was basically saying the strategy was to
let everyone have their fun till the second term, then things would really
start to change.
I still stick to what I said in my first posting tonight, as far as
cigarettes there should be better ventilation in clubs, and simple respect
for each other's space, instead of legislating behavior. The government
should have learned that from prohibition.
We are living in a world like Bill has described, when my brother went to a
job interview they wanted a hair sample. He walked out after that. Let's
hope they didn't take finger prints from the chair, voice prints, or skin
samples for DNA, and this was IT work for a small company. Well, while it's
still legal I'm going to listen to some Hawkwind, maybe a live release, hmm.

Stay free,

Kaduflyer