OFF: Roky Erikson in Todays Guardian

Fri Jul 6 11:37:46 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:29:30AM -0500, mike coleman typed out:
> *the only record I ever bought (and I think ever heard) by them is (I think)
> "the psychedelic sounds of"??? does that sound right?? and it had "fire
> engine"????  anyway, recommendations welcome*

	There are only four albums, and of those the so-called _Live_ is
to avoid, as it's bad out-takes and rehearsals and not really live at
all. I have the first one, that you mention, which I like, and the
third, _Bull of the Woods_, which is a bit vaguer--less Roky and more of
the guitarist, who sings on about half the album becaue Roky was already
institutionalised before it was finished. It's not at all bad,
(bad-)dreamy psych, but it's not the wildness of the first album. I
don't have the second one, _Easter Everywhere_, but it's on the list to
get because of the famous track, `Slip Inside This House', and I think
therefore that that one and the one you had are the ones to have, _Bull
of the Woods_ if you like them a lot.

	I once saw on ancient Usenet someone post a very convincing
essay showing that Tommy Hall filked `Slip Inside this House' out of
Coleridge's `Kubla Khan'. Try singing the other to the one, see what I
mean... Yours,
		Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk