HW: live material

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jul 11 07:53:56 EDT 2007

john-paul writes:

> surely there are people on this list capable of "cleaning" up
> recordings on their computers, with the software that is available
> nowadays.  the recordings could then be released through the hawkwind
> website for whatever price would be suitable.  maybe even only to
> passport holders and then the question of quality is somewhat negated
> by the fact that they would only be going to hardcore fans.  everyone
> would be a winner.  i would certainly give up time to catalogue such
> items as long as there was a chance of hearing them.

Absolutely.  It would be great if Dave would do this as a kind of
Seti at home project where those willing and trusted were given a bunch of
recordings to catalogue or clean up on computer.  If it worked then
clearly there'd be a gain for us in more hawkwind tolisten to and
potential cash for the band as the better recordings were cleaned up
and, say, marketed on the web.

My guess is that the sticking points are the trust issues and the
historical reluctance to put downloads on the web on a for sale basis.

Possibly the trust issues could be resolved by limiting it to a small
circle of willing fans, and tracking who got what work to do so that any
leakages could later be traced. As for later distribution on a
Pay-Per-Click basis to make the band some money, the skills to set that
up are certainly available amongst us too.

The project could be done with a fairly high level of security just by
tracking who got what. I'd certainly volunteer to help organise that and
to do some cataloguing and cleaning.  Organising such projects is what I
do in my day job and the rest I've done as a hobby anyway.

So out of curiosity: how much resource do we have? How many folks could
and would contribute to what parts of such a project?

FoFP