OFF: Fear of a Blank Planet

Tim Hall tim at KALYR.COM
Wed Jun 6 18:23:56 EDT 2007

Steve Freight wrote:

> For me Porcupine Tree lost it a few years ago.
>
> The last fully rounded album they did was Stupid Dream. Each album
> since has had at least one track that I would call real Tree but Fear
> Of A Blank Planet has left me cold.
>
> I'm pleased Steven Wilson and co have finally found acceptance but
> for me they lost the roots of what the band was originally about.
> Perhaps they progressed too far for the original fans. Those that saw
> them at Brixton with Hawkwind saw the real Tree for me.
>
> Steve (former Porcupine Tree fanzine Voyage 35 producer)

I suppose it's inevitable that if a band changes and evolves there's
going to be a certain turnover of fans.  The alternative is for a band
to release endless retreads of the same album (Threshold, I'm looking at
you!).  That approach will keep the existing fanbase happy, but it's not
a good way to grow support. And it's ultimately boring.  Why keep buying
albums that sound just the same as the ones you've got already?

I lovw both "Stupid Dream" and the stuff they're doing now.  It's not
better or worse, just... different.