NIK/OFF: Litmus & Inner City Unit, The Standard, Walthamstow, 11/05/07

Thu Jun 7 18:20:30 EDT 2007

	I realise this review is a bit late, but so is all my mail at
the moment, and there haven't been any others. I stuck this up on a BBS
I use, which is why it contains explanations BOC-L don't need. This is
going to be another review where I hope Trev will forgive me; I thought
he was badly let down by a band of which he was by a long way the best
part. But this is what I wrote.

	"I had worries about this gig, because since I last saw them
Litmus had shed their keyboardist and I didn't know what the new one
would be like, and because Inner City Unit, the 80s punk band of
ex-Hawkwind saxophonist Nik Turner, while brilliant at the time, have
always been rather awful since they started sporadically reforming and
would be playing with two original members max. But because I wanted to
see what would happen with Litmus, and also buy their new album, and
because [another user of the BBS]  was also going to make it, I happened
along.

        "Litmus has in fact not yet acquired a new keyboardist at all,
which made them sound rather different. They had more space for guitar,
whereas before the guitar had often been fighting against the actual
tune; on the other hand, now on several tracks big parts of the actual
tune were missing. The jams, of which there are usually lots, were more
successful than before--both bass-player and guitarist separately told
me that now they're carrying more of it by themselves they're generally
concentrating more--but the setlist oddly restricted by what they could
so as a four-piece. So there were only two tracks from the new album,
two things from before the first one and a cover. The setlist was:

Destroy the Mothership! [which was awesome for the extra attack]
Tempest
Twinstar [with a long and brilliant jam]
Sonic Light [with a fluffed intro and half the tune missing, dull]
(Theta Wave) Inductor [which Martin said they only do because I moan if
		they don't, well, it was good so I don't care]
White Light/White Heat [which was OK, and segued into a new number whose
		title I don't know yet, which sounded like a lost
		Hawkwind track from long ago--I mean even more than
		their stuff usually does]
Ejection [Hawkwind cover, solid]
Evil [very old song which still needs to be part of something bigger I
		think, but whose riff is still the absolute killer]

        "And that was it! Short and odd, but mostly well-played, and
it's good that they are confident enough to do this kind of holding
performance until the line-up can be healed, but, at the same time, this
was sort of only part of a show.

        "Inner City Unit took the stage with two synth players, both
scrounged from Nik's lacklustre Hawkwind nostalgia act Space Ritual,
Judge Trev and Nik from ICU proper, the drummer from Nik's Cuban jazz
outfit The Fantastic All-Stars, and Nazar Ali Khan who was sucked into
ICU for the reformation having previously been the band's graphic
designer. This was not an auspicious start, and they followed it up by
doing one of the few gigs so bad that I've left early rather than listen
to any more. I'll try and be brief.

        "Nazar cannot play bass live. There was a time when he was just
completely useless and I recognise that he has got a lot better.
Unfortunately, he has got a lot better by practising soloes and licks in
his bedroom, not by playing with a band. He ruined almost every number
that had any kind of change in, simply because when he hit the change he
would charge off at a different speed to the one he'd been using,
oblivious to the rest of the band who then had to try and match up. This
in turn made the drummer, whom I've seen be very good before, more or
less useless because he kept being unfooted and so played everything
safe.

	Trev, on guitar and possibly the only person in the band who
knew how the songs actually went (Nik's recall of this sort of detail
often being a bit sketchy--though actually he only came in out of place
twice that I spotted and then at least he was 4 bars out so that the
band could cover it relatively easily, and though he did do one sax solo
in the wrong key that was mostly because Nazar had already got out of
key and Nik followed him  rather than Trev), slowly took more and more
control over the course of the gig. He'd started too quiet, and too
respectful of the other players, and by the time I gave up and left he
at least had become impressively aggressive and shreddy, but since apart
from Nik the rest of the band weren't picking up on it that didn't
really save matters. And whenever there was some energy actually going,
the hapless swooshes and sputters of the synth players, of whom they
*maybe* needed one, sucked it away by destroying and puncturing the
rhythm and drowning the tune.

	In summary, Nik and Trev were good; but they'd have been
incomparably better had they been busking outside by themselves. I
couldn't stand seeing what had been good songs once so uselessly
murdered and left well before the end. Sorry. I shall need considerable
reassurance before I risk another ICU performance I'm afraid.

        "The setlist such as I saw was:

Watching the Grass Grow
Raj Neesh
Ghost Riders in the Sky
Cybernetic Love
Brand New Cadillac
(Remember) Margate Beach
Two Worlds
Virgin Love
Gas Money
Space Invaders
World of LSD
Cars Eat With Autoface
The Right Stuff (although Trev played the guitar part from `Ejection'
        throughout, which is more or less the point at which I decided
	to leave)

        "All of these, I promise, are good songs and you can haul most
off http://www.deadfred.co.uk and I bet you will enjoy them, more or
less, but for gods' sake don't go and see them live. The end."

	How it seemed to me, at least, yours,
					      Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk