HW: Space Ritual + DVD

Fri Jun 15 05:00:44 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:30:14AM -0500, mike coleman typed out:

	<snip>

> *so what about how Richard is most proficient Hawkwind drummer, etc??*

	I reckon so, as long as proficiency is all you mean. Richard's
technical ability, flawless timing and obsession with robots having sex
is second to none on the HW drum stool. (Second place must go to
Alan Powell? The version of `Brainstorm' on _Atomhenge 76_ shows
just what having two drummers can do for a rock band...) Just at times
one yearns for a bit more rolling thunder out of him like Simon King's
gratuitous kettle-drum abuse, and a bit less dance-steady roboticness.

	The gig, I think it was the Forum in 2002? when Danny Thompson
was being second drummer in places, and then took one song (`Sword of
the East'? Damn my failing memory, and I haven't time or a decent mailer
to search for my gig review) by himself was good in this respect,
because Richard came back on sounding much less like a drum machine. As
if Danny had out-rawked him and now he had to level up. That was good.
Yours,
	Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk