HW: Space Ritual + DVD

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Fri Jun 15 07:05:39 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:16:52AM +0100, Paul Mather wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2007, at 10:00 AM, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> >>*so what about how Richard is most proficient Hawkwind drummer,
> >>etc??*
> >
> >	I reckon so, as long as proficiency is all you mean. Richard's
> >technical ability, flawless timing and obsession with robots having
> >sex
> >is second to none on the HW drum stool.
>
> If proficiency is your yardstick, surely the title goes to Ginger
> Baker, then?  I don't know about the obsession with robots having sex
> part, though.

The first time I heard World of Tiers, I thought
"Damn, who's that drummer?!"  If you want a clear cut
example of how he stepped it up a notch, compare the
Motorway City recordings from Live '79 and Levitation.

It's problematic that I pay attention to drumming, because
so much rock-n-roll drumming is soooo bad.  If I could just
ignore it, I would enjoy a lot more music.  But especially a
lot of rock & roll producers seem to take a sadistic delight
in mixing bad WHACK-WHACK-WHACK type drumming way forward
in the mix, so it's like being assaulted by a three year
old with a toy drum.

Steve