HW:Distant Horizons

John Majka jmajk at INDY.RR.COM
Wed Mar 7 10:52:59 EST 2007

I don't think Distant Horizons is any worse than Alien 4, for example, so if
you like that one, I'd say certainly give DH a try.  There are several
tracks I quite like--"Wheels" is one of Hawkwind's great moments, I think,
and though others will disagree with me, I also liked "Phetamine Street"
quite a bit.  There are some songs that sound more like Brock solo album
stuff, and they actually sound out of place on Distant Horizons.  I would
say that those tracks are the low points--"Clouded Vision," "Population
Overload," "Waimea Canyon Drive."  The opener is startling, and not
necessarily in a good way, with its sampled reggae voice.   However, I
should reiterate that I don't think Alien 4 or In Your Area are that much
better.  Each of these albums is spotty, with some great tracks interspersed
with only mediocre ones.  Nevertheless, all of these albums have their
redeeming features and I would recommend them to a fan, but not as a first
exposure to Hawkwind.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Nearfest, and to the possibility of a
US tour....
John Majka