BOC-L Digest - 12 Mar 2007 to 13 Mar 2007 (#2007-53)

Mike Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Tue Mar 13 07:55:24 EDT 2007

Quoting BOC-L automatic digest system <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>:
> Date:    Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:53:38 +0000
> From:    Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
> Subject: Re: OFF: reference in cool Onion article
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:43:59PM -0000, Jill Strobridge typed out:
>> How come Wales gets to hide all these arcane lost rock-riff wonders?
>> Wasn't the "recently-discovered-lost Jimmy-Hendrix-tape" <tongue firmly in
>> cheek> a version of the Welsh National Anthem?

* It turned out to be the lead guitarist from the Vibrators, who was
interviewed on Newsnight and admitted it.

>> I mean I know Merlin
>> nicked the Stonehenge Bluestones from there (at least I don't think he paid
>> for them - somehow you get the impression that's not how magicians
>> generally conduct their activities)

* Wasn't there a recent theory that the bluestones came from somewhere
a lot nearer to Salisbury Plain?

>> and they've been the focus of a
>> festival of some kind or another ever since but I was unaware that Wales
>> was also the repository for vaults of ancient rock music.   Although if
>> it's all stored in the mines the bluestones were taken from......   Now
>> there would be a Thing.   The Music of the Stones.

* I think that the reference is to 'Bron-Y-Aur stomp' by LZ and Roy Harper.

> 	I wonder what you would get if you took some kind of reading of
> the stones, an ultrasonic one of their composition maybe or a microwave
> radar one of their surfaces, and somehow mapped it to sound output.
> Actually, no I don't; I wonder how many years behind I am the first
> person to think of this and how much Googling I'd have to do to find out
> where it's on sale (at which point, I hasten to add, I would shake my
> head wryly and close the browser window). Yours,
> 						 Jon

* Julian Cope is your man for this! He has written an essential book on
the topic.

- Mike Godwin