OFF: Litmus in Cambridge

Thu Mar 15 15:42:41 EDT 2007

	Dear All,
		  Litmus played Cambridge for my birthday, which was
kind of nice of them though they didn't know, and I thought I should do
a review.

	This was a Cambridge Rocksoc gig, so the supports were at least
interesting, because the guy who organises their gigs has odd contacts
in weird places. That said, I ignored the first one and stayed in the
pub part of the venue because it was full of people I hadn't seen for
ages. The second band, Godsize, were a kind of doom hardcore effort who
were quite impressive, and had a frontman who could handle heckles with
the best of them, quite different persona in and out of songs. I'd see
them again but I didn't feel the need to download their stuff from
Myspace and so on, you know.

	Litmus were a while getting on stage, and seemed a little less
organised than usual. I didn't take a setlist this time because Colin
always has to correct mine, but it would e quite short because most of
the songs they did play, `Tempest' excepted, were stretched out to
include a lot of jamming, some of which was, er, more successful than
the rest. In particular Simon seemed to be off on his own on guitar
without really checking in with the band and this rather bled all the
energy out of `Under the Sign', with which they closed. The set was all
kind of like that, offhand and more relaxed than usual. They did at
least do `(Theta Wave) Inductor' well and people danced that I'd never
expect to dance to spacerock, but I have definitely seen them better,
and hopefully will again at the end of the month in Hitchin. I had a
good time anyway, you know, but Hawkwind would have been better and
that ain't always so :-) Yours,
				 Jon

Ob12": The Cramps - _Smell of Female_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk