was HW: Vinyl, t-shirts, etc. now "iPods"

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 19 19:24:06 EDT 2007

Paul wrote...

Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU> wrote:    >If you are going to buy an actual iPod, you charge it via the USB
>port of the computer on which you run iTunes (which is how you load
>tunes onto the iPod). So, there is no charger issue.

  Well, that's interesting.  Tells you how much I know.  Do all brands work this way?  That would sure make things a lot more simple in one sense (worldwide universal), although I don't own a ("modern") computer let alone one that I would carry around in a backpack, so is that the *only* way they can be charged?

>Of course, by "iPod" you could have meant a generic high-capacity
portable music player. There are lots of those about. For example,
I hear the ones by Creative are well recommended.

Yeah, I was using the term in a "generic" sense, which probably pisses off Apple, as I know that trademarks can become invalid if terms become accepted as generic.

  Anyway, my interest in buying one would be entirely to load up music that I own myself (or is freely available online)...I have no interest in purchasing music files online.  So to me it will be entirely a portable device - I don't want to buy music via Apple.  So how might that change what brand I would prefer?

  I'll look into Creative anyway.

  Thanks...feel free to take offline is you think this is too much offtopic here.

  Grakkl