was HW: Vinyl, t-shirts, etc. now "iPods"

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Mar 20 15:23:18 EDT 2007

On 20 Mar 2007, at 5:35 PM, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> You may be able to get some form gapless playback with oggs or FLAC
> files, too, though these aren't supported for playback in iTunes,
> so I haven't tried it.

You can play Vorbis files in iTunes via the Xiph QuickTime
Component.  I know I had some albums in .ogg format from when I used
Amarok under FreeBSD that I play unconverted in iTunes that way.  (It
isn't fully supported in iTunes.  For example, you can't attach album
artwork, but the audio works fine.)

Unfortunately, you can't play them on an iPod, unless you've replaced
its firmware with, say, Rockbox.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu