AW: Space Ritual + DVD

Wilfried Schuesler Wilfried at MUENSTER.DE
Mon May 21 07:09:20 EDT 2007

Oops, sorry!

That one was for somebody else...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] Im
Auftrag von Carl Edlund Anderson
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Mai 2007 11:07
An: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Betreff: Re: Space Ritual + DVD

On 20/05/2007 17:14, Paul Mather wrote:
> On 20 May 2007, at 4:37 PM, Stephen Swann wrote:
>> Only an uncompressed digital solution, with error correction
>> as part of the storage format will make me happy.
>
> I think I missed the start of this thread, but aren't you describing
> good ol' pre-existing CD audio discs here?  Or are you saying you want
> MORE error correction?

Isn't the best "error correction" having a backup that can seemlessly
replace lost data?

 > (And yes,
 > I know that analog->digital is a kind of lossy compression
 > in itself.)  ;-)

On the other hand, some kind of "loss" in digital has to be inevitable
since our ears are "analog" :)  I guess it remains just a matter of
making the bit depth and sample rates high enough that the amount of
data exceeds human capacity to perceive it.

I suppose in the glorious (?) cyberfuture when we all have bionic
hearing, everything will need to be remastered _again_ .... ;)

Until then, I think 24-bit, 96 Khz audio ought to be "good enough" (and
at least better than current CD audio).

(Though there are other issues here -- recording something at 24-bit, 96
Khz and then downsampling to 16-bit 44.1 Khz can possibly introduce more
distortion through the resampling process than simply having recorded
16-bit 44.1 Khz input for 16-bit 44.1 Khz output!)

 > Has anybody actually listened to any high-def CDs vs their
 > "standard" counterpart?  Is the difference discernable to
 > human beings, or do you need high precision equipment to
 > detect it?

I haven't got audiophile-quality kit, but I strongly suspect good kit
does indeed make a big difference -- albeit probably an increasingly
slight difference as we head towards the top of the range.  For
instance, I'm sure most of us can hear a big difference between
listening to the same CD on a cheap "dorm room" style boombox and a
decent quality home hi-fi system.  I haven't tried myself, but I suspect
better speakers, a dedicated DAC, all that kind of thing would have at
least some noticeable impact.

On the other hand, I mostly tend to have music on while moving around
the house, working at a desk or reading in a chair -- or on the move
through the iPod.  I'm probably not listening closely enough, 99% of the
time, to notice many of the benefits higher-end equipment would bring.
I can certainly hear the limitations of lower bit-rate MP3s or my iPod's
headphones, but in the latter case -- well, portable headphones in my
hands lead dangerous lives :) and it's not economically viable for me to
invest in snazzy headphones to carry around ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson