BLANGA

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Mon Nov 12 07:20:37 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:57:25AM +0000, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:

> 	Is it just guitarists, or are others allowed in too? If so,
> Scott Reeder, bass-player for the late lamented Kyuss, since turned
> pet-shop owner and occasional producer. Yours,

Speaking of which I have two very strong recommendations for
anyone who likes psychedelic/stoner/desert rock, or just plain
BLANGA BALNGA BLANGA:

1. Earthless - _Sonic Prayer_

This CD, even though it's from 2005, has been out of print, and
used copies were going for between $150 and $225.  It must have
either come available again, or someone found a warehouse full of
them, because all of a sudden you can get it for normal CD prices
again.  There are no vocals, and the CD is just 2 songs, 20 min
each, of sheer freakin' unadulterated instrumental BLANGA.  You
can check out a few minutes of one of them ("Flower Travellin'
Man", clearly a reference to the great japanese psychedelics
the Flower Travellin' Band) on their Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/earthless

2. The Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - _Ekranoplan_

Ignore the weird band name, this album really kicks.  It has
elements of Hawkwind, Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath, and more recent
influences like Kyuss, Fu Manchu and the Spiritual Beggars - and
they openly claim Blue Oyster Cult as an influence.  The album
isn't all BLANGA by any stetch, it also supports the theorem
proposed by one of my college mates years ago that only really
heavy bands know how to write good ballads.  ;-) You can check
out a couple samples here, although I feel that they (perhaps
unwisely) held back the best stuff:
http://www.myspace.com/theassembleheadinsunburstsound

Steve