Censorship goes local

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Thu Nov 15 10:37:03 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:30:54 -0600, Delta-Wave wrote
> <*>On 11/14/07, M Holmes <fofp at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:  <*>
> http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1780422007
> absolutely rediculous
> first of all, to employ a law like that, there needs to be one on
> the books about the offensive nature of any shirts promoting the carpenter....

The carpenter's son, to be precise. But you're right, although there are
precious few who will agree.

> reminds me of my favorite record shop here that had a picture disc
> of Jesus doing an IV shot......the owner would come in and turn it
> around to the backside, and then when he'd leave the employee would
> once again display it

The question at hand is where do you cross the line, and becomes what you say
obscene, blasphemous, xenophobic, homophobic,offensive, whatever? Freedom of
speech is a Good Thing (TM), but the fact that you can say something doesn't
imply that you should say it.

Of course, in this case, the Scottish police acted downright stupid.