Tech question

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Nov 20 14:24:31 EST 2007

On 20 Nov 2007, at 3:34 PM, David Kuznick wrote:

> Quoting Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>:
>
>> You can get non-iTunes software to manage your iPod (e.g., GtkPod,
>> gnupod, and I recall Amarok has built-in iPod support), but usually
>> these are for people running unix-like systems, not Windows or Mac...
>
> Nonsense.  I use MediaMonkey on Windows and it works great.  For
> pulling stuff off of an ipod (MediaMonkey does not have great
> support for that), or to put video off and on (which MediaMonkey doe
> snot support at all yet) I use sharepod, which can install on the
> ipod itself.

I think "nonsense" is a bit unfair: the reverse-engineered iPod
software game got going on unix-like systems because, just like DVD
playing, there was no official licensed, proprietary option for using
the kit on those platforms.  But, I do admit I don't use Windows at
all nowadays and so there may be plenty of alternatives there now.

As for SharePod, the phrase "which can install on the ipod itself" is
a bit misleading.  Sure, you can have the program stowed on there, but
you couldn't, say, plug that iPod into my iBook G4 and hope to get
anywhere with SharePod (even if you did go to the bother of
downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0).  The same could go for
Windows 98, actually...

I do believe that someone has installed a Linux distribution on an
iPod, though. ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPod, but I did use a video iPod under
FreeBSD 6 for a time.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa