Tech question

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Nov 20 14:38:44 EST 2007

Quoting Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>:

> On 20 Nov 2007, at 3:34 PM, David Kuznick wrote:
>
>> Quoting Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>:
>>
>>> You can get non-iTunes software to manage your iPod (e.g., GtkPod,
>>> gnupod, and I recall Amarok has built-in iPod support), but usually
>>> these are for people running unix-like systems, not Windows or Mac...
>>
>> Nonsense.  I use MediaMonkey on Windows and it works great.  For
>> pulling stuff off of an ipod (MediaMonkey does not have great
>> support for that), or to put video off and on (which MediaMonkey
>> doe snot support at all yet) I use sharepod, which can install on
>> the ipod itself.
>

> I think "nonsense" is a bit unfair: the reverse-engineered iPod
> software game got going on unix-like systems because, just like DVD
> playing, there was no official licensed, proprietary option for using
> the kit on those platforms.  But, I do admit I don't use Windows at all
> nowadays and so there may be plenty of alternatives there now.

I'm just saying there are PLENTY of non-iTunes options that work just
fine in Windows.

> As for SharePod, the phrase "which can install on the ipod itself" is a
> bit misleading.  Sure, you can have the program stowed on there, but
> you couldn't, say, plug that iPod into my iBook G4 and hope to get
> anywhere with SharePod (even if you did go to the bother of downloading
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0).  The same could go for Windows 98,
> actually...

Sure.  I was just mentioning it.

> I do believe that someone has installed a Linux distribution on an
> iPod, though. ;-)

Yup, and Rockbox is another option.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Saturn comes back around to show you everything