HW: Litmus Dates

Tue Oct 30 05:44:00 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:18:38AM +0100, Colin Allen typed out:
> Uber-Space Rockers Litmus have the following dates scheduled:

	<snip>

> 28th October 2007
> The Underworld
> 174 Camden High Street
> London
> NW1 0NE
> (2nd night of the All Hallows Festival with Leafhound, Gentlemans
> Pistols and Earthling Society)

	<snip>

	Well, I was there, and with a reasonable head of beer on too and
so prepared to enjoy many things. All the bands decently represented,
which was nice; also good to see that Rise Above have belaboured Litmus
into producing new t-shirt designs.

	Earthling Society were first up and opened with a slow jam,
which may not have been the best way to go about it; Sherman lost
interest quite rapidly and disappeared to the loo for the rest of their
set, of which this was about a third. This meant that she missed the
bits where they actually did something, including the culmination of the
jam where they'd piled so much in that just shunting that noise about
began to have an intensity of its own. The second track they did was an
actual song, and not a bad one even, but the singer can't really hit his
notes, and their playing is nothing remarkable, and by and large I saw
nothing in this set that did more than catch my interest.

	Of an entirely different stamp were Gentleman's Pistols. As they
were setting up I took stock of the general amount of facial hair, other
hair, vintage instrumentation and swagger, and was reminded of an
interview I read once with Mick Farren about the Deviants gig at Hyde
Park. I can't remember who exactly it was that the Deviants had been
sandwiched between for that gig, but one of them was the Edgar Broughton
band, and Mick told of how he'd been unable to convince himself they
could catch the audience, what with being stuck between one band far
heavier and another far cleverer. And Paul Rudolph found the point for
them to stand on by coming to the mic and saying, "Now we're going to
have some fun". This was what I found myself expecting as the Pistols
took the stage. I wasn't wrong either. I think a third of the songs were
about masturbation or other unsavoury sexual practices, the singer
(whose hair and beard were most outrageous of all) needed to be credited
for camp as well as guitar, posing and vocals, and they were all
enjoying themselves hugely playing loud fuzzy rock and roll of a happily
filthy kind. No-one could accuse them of taking themselves too
seriously, but you certainly couldn't have accused them of being
under-rehearsed either; this band is worth seeing. I shall definitely
hope to catch them again, and I only held off on buying the album
because it was clear that Sherman was going to and I wanted to save the
money for a new Litmus t-shirt.

	So Litmus had a lot to follow, although I was confident that
they could manage it. However, I'm not sure they made any converts this
night in the event. A four-track set, half of which was new and
unfinished material, and much of which was jamming, would have taken
over and stolen Earthling Society's thunder with no problem but
following people who'd been playing short, furious and complete songs,
Litmus unfortunately looked rather amateur. The known songs were
`Infinity Drive', which was ugly and brutal but in a good way, and
has a new break now, and `Under the Sign', which probably jammed for too
long; I think it's possible that Litmus might benefit from a performance
rule that says once they drop the ball once in a jam it's time to wrap
it up and remind the audience who's boss by getting back to the riff. As
it was it was a long time to wait for the bit where one could dance
again.

	The new stuff had its parts but they were spaced out too far at
the moment. The worst of it was that during the last track, which was a
monster in terms of time but only came to a focus for about two minutes,
I found myself thinking, "Marek [the drummer] is wasted on this", and at
any other time I wouldn't usually notice him because I'd be
concentrating on the stringsmen. From this I conclude that Simon,
especially, but also Martin to a lesser extent, need to come up with
some new tricks, or perhaps focus on song structure a bit more, or
mainly, I suspect, finally get a new keyboardist and be prepared to
endure him or her saying, "guys, guys, this is flaccid spacewasting, we
can do better than this". It may not always be true but it's a point
they perhaps need to be readier to hear. So I don't quite know what goes
on in Litmus camp at this time, but I think it needs some work and
possibly some help.

	Headliners were Leafhound, of whom I probably should have known.
They have done a Nektar- or Blue-Cheer-like rejuvenation by recruiting
one new younger member, but I don't know how much difference this has
made. The guitarist is the new boy, and definitely had the shred and the
widdle, a Vai fan I suspect, whilst also being quite ready to hold down
the riff where necessary, and apart from the fact that he looked too
damn clean compared to the rest of the band I had no problem with
considering him part of the deal. And the bassist was fine, the drummer
and singer both clearly still had what they'd had, or if they didn't, I
didn't know, not knowing the original. Let me put it this way: if you'd
only been able to hear them, you wouldn't have known they were an old
band. What you might have thought, however, is "why is this pub blues
band headlining in the Underworld?" There was nothing wrong with them
but they were some way off being special. I guess there were big fans in
the audience who were pleased to see their favourite tracks actually
being done right, and I can certainly relate to that from experiences
with other bands, but I couldn't join them there and there wasn't
really much for anyone else.

	So yes. Earthling Society and Leafhound come in some way behind,
Litmus suffering creative injuries and scrape a second place; outright
victory by a long way to Gentleman's Pistols. If we could get them on a
bill with Gorilla and Drunk Horse the resultant testosterone guitar
explosion would probably level the venue. Yours,
						 Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk