[Hawkwind] Hawkwind vs Porcupine Tree in photo popularity stakes

Gordon Hundley drgoon at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 7 16:40:17 EDT 2007

Slow day at work, so off I go...

I only posted the link onto the Dark Matter mailing list - but I
could probably generate a few more hits I posted it to the unofficial
fan forum and the new Artist Arena operated official forum. :) Yes,
Porcupine Tree are becoming quite popular now - long overdue some
major success, IMO. They've adapted their sound quite a lot over the
years, starting out as a one-man pastiche of psychedelic rock,
migrating into glissando-based space rock as they became a band
proper, becoming more song structured with first heavier space rock,
then pop-rock, and more recently adding some metal veneer. Oddly
enough, although I came to them from a Hawkwind background, it wasn't
until they started to define their sound around Signify that they
really took off for me. The Sky Moves Sideways and early work wears
their influences on their sleeve a little too much. Already having
hundreds of albums in that vein, they were a bunch of talented
musicians doing stuff that was fun but overly familiar to me. For
many years I much preferred Steven Wilson's "pop" band No-Man.

I feel that while Stupid Dream was very impressive, it took until In
Absentia (their first real major label album) to meet the standard
they showed on Signify. Deadwing contained some very good work, but
wasn't up to the standard of In Absentia. Fear of a Blank Planet has
seen the band again start to re-shape their sound, adding tones and
arrangements reminiscent of 70s rock as well as grooves and patterns
more familiar in more recent industrial rock. There's still some
blinding double-bass drumming and a couple of metal riffs, but its
not in any way a metal album, and all the old PT sounds are still
there in the mix. What's exciting and compelling about PT's music
today is that it fuses so many varied influences - heavy & gliss
space rock, krautrock, psych, 70s heavy rock, pop-rock, etc. Its no
longer as on the "Sky Moves Sideways" a bunch of talented buggers
sounding too close to Floyd et. al. for comfort. Today I reckon that
they're as good as they've ever been and writing and playing as well
as they ever have.

PT are also working like crazy - burning the midnight oil to hit many
towns in UK, Europe and the USA twice a year while writing new music
and being involved in numerous side projects, some of which are also
touring. They're working to a schedule that Hawkwind probably haven't
since the mid to late 70s. And yes, PT's audience now has very many
young people in it, which is good, because then there's a chance of
there being an audience the size of Hawkwind's current cult following
for PT in another twenty years when both PT and I are older, slower
but still rocking. :)

Also, I would imagine right from the outset, the generations thing
means that a greater proportion of PT's fans are more involved in
using the Internet than Hawkwind fans. I got into Hawkwind before I
got into computer networking... the younger fans of PT got into
computer networking (on high speed broadband Internet no less) before
they got into music at all. :)

It would be nice to see Hawkwind and Porcupine Tree on the same bill
again, though I think its unlikely that we will.

Gordon.

PS: the 'Brentwood 7' pic of Alan is very cool. Caught him in a great
smile.