HW: bass-players (was: Mr. Dibs)

Mon Sep 17 16:55:25 EDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 05:26:48PM -0500, mike coleman typed out:
> and in my typical darkness, however possibly incorrect, was he or was not
> he, another hep-c victim??? I seem to recall that was at least a slowdown
> for Rustic Rod....
> BTW-Shaw holds his own solo if I were asked, and further, Lemmy can never be
> replaced...I can almost do the face, but lack the lean stature and nice
> legs.....hehehe

	Lemmy's stature isn't quite what it was in 1974 by now
either...!

	But to the actual meat, yes, Ade Shaw did have Hep-C and was one
of the lucky people for whom treatment with interferon worked. The Frond
released _Valedictory Songs_ when his illness was discovered, and did a
Valedictory All-Dayer at which Nick only just managed not to blurt what
the problem was and thus made it sound much more like an acrimonious
split or legal problems. Then when he recovered they did _What Did for
the Dinosaurs_ and now Nick's the one with a world of problems... :-(

	Rustic Rod, last I heard, which is already probably more than
two years out of date, was *not* getting better on interferon, and was
in line for a liver transplant that might save him if he came to the
top of the queue in time. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything to
suggest that he isn't still alive, so maybe things have somehow improved
for him. Anyone know? Having seen him spin words out of nothing a few
times, even if the music was not always that great, I'd be sorry to
gather that that talent had passed unmourned. Yours,
						     Jon (who seems to
be hearing of a lot of unpleasant terminal illnesses lately...)

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk