HW: More [Space Ritual] lyrics

Fri Sep 28 04:36:46 EDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 09:29:29PM -0400, Mike Montfort typed out:

> TIME CRIME
> (Anderson / Turner)
>
> Saw my brother yesterday sat in his hi-tech jail,
> Who are they to say he's wrong won't set him free won't give him bail,
> Asked him why he looked so calm living on water and bread,
> These iron bars that fence me can't get inside my head
>
> Cos doing time is time to travel,
> Unravelling time to travel in time,
> Forget about that judges gavel,
> Commit that chronologic crime.
>
> `Not allowed in here' it said, the robot looked real mean,
> Brother said don't get it wrong, it's only a machine,
> It cannot think it merely acts, instructed by it's law,
> Cannot stop us sailing to infinity's gold shore,
>
> Cos doing time is time to trave,
> Unravelling time to travel in time,
> Forget about that judges gavel,
> Commit that chronologic crime.
>
> Saw my brother yesterday now finally he's free,
> Found a way to beat his rap, said `times inside, inside out to me',
> Saw the distance in his eyes like it's written in the tao,
> Travelling more than to arrive his future is his now is his now,
>
> Cos doing time is time to travel,
> Unravelling time to travel in time,
> Forget about that judges gavel,
> Commit that chronologic crime.

	Thanks for posting these Mike. I've seen them *doing* this one
so it shouldn't surprise me that it turns up but I'm not over-impressed
with Mr Anderson there attaching his name to it. This is an old unused
Sphynx track, as some people may know, and I don't know whose name
*should* be on it but I'm pretty sure it's not just Nik's. Unless the
Anderson in question is not actually Dave but Andy... On the other hand,
the Space Ritual version certainly has all the tune, and by the look of
these some of the more interesting lyrics, sucked out of it, so maybe
Dave Anderson is just naming the guilty for making what was a really
good little song into a dull one. But I guess I should wait to hear the
recording before I judge solely on the basis of the live gigs. Space
Ritual's main problem live, which is Thomas Crimble and Terry Ollis
playing everything at exactly the same relatively unchallenging pace,
may just have been got round in the studio. If Anderson's been
responsible for such a transformation I might forgive him for this
HW-style credit-theft... (But not for _Yuri Gagarin_!) Yours,
							      Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk