HW: TMTYL

Mary Sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Aug 4 10:33:57 EDT 2008

HI Mike,
I have a gismo that sonicly repells mosquitoes, it's worked so far. That's
cool, "Ironically there are stories of schoolkids using it as a ringtone"I
think I'd notice it.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of M Holmes
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 8:02 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: HW: TMTYL

Jonathan Jarrett writes:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 07:30:43PM -0400, Mary Sullivan typed out:
> > Do you have any links, or copies of interviews with Lemmy dealing with
the
> > psychoacoustics
> > they played with back then.  Dave is certainly a master at inducing
certain
> > states through sound.  You may not be into them, but The Dead were into
that
> > sort of thing, too, and the subject has always fascinated me.
>
> 	Hi Mary,
> 		 I'm sorry, but a brief play with Google and a search of
> the BOC-L archives doesn't turn up any actual links. From the look of
> this, though, Lemmy was telling this tale to the Sunday Times in 2000:
>
> http://listserv.ispnetinc.net/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0009C&L=BOC-L&P=R4660

The real story is in sonic weaponry. There have been rumours of a
crowd-dispersal device, possibly van-mounted, which bombards crowds with
subsonics which cause a sense of panic and a need to escape the scene.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4857417

More concrete is a system used by ships to deter pirates off the coast
of Africa. These use some sort of sonic array and are able to focus
sound on the small boats used by the pirates. Again these can cause such
discomfort as to force a retreat.

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/commentary/110/sonic_weapons.html

More mundane is the Mosquito, a high-frequency sound device used by
British shopkeepers to deter teenagers from hanging around the shops.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/04/04/mosquito_sound_wa
ve_feature.shtml

The idea is that the sound is so high-pitched that only kids can hear
it. Ironically there are stories of schoolkids using it as a ringtone
for their phones, that teachers can't hear.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.