HW: TMTYL

Owen O'Neill owen.01 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 4 12:20:10 EDT 2008

If you have an ultrasonic humidifier, you can put your finger in the tank
right where a focal point is above the transducer (metal disc on the bottom
about 4cm wide), and if you're lucky you feel a really sharp pain. I wonder
how conductive and dispersive the air is-- like if you could manage to get a
narrow beam that would result in some good watts per square cm at the
target. If so, could you modulate the ultrasound pain to produce a sensation
of audible noise in someone's ear? Focussing it would be easy, the hang-up
would be finding a really powerful transducer. That's hundreds of times
higher than what's just beyond the range of hearing though. At lower
ultrasound freqs you could set up a trap with a TV dish or something, at
least being able to focus it on individuals at short range.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Mary Sullivan <
maryann.sullivan1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> HI Mike,
> I have a gismo that sonicly repells mosquitoes, it's worked so far. That's
> cool, "Ironically there are stories of schoolkids using it as a ringtone"I
> think I'd notice it.