OFF: Porcupine Tree "Even Less" Demo version vs. "Stupid Dream" rewritten version

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu Aug 7 11:36:43 EDT 2008

I tried liking PT in the 90s on the Delerium label, got a bunch of stuff from BOC-L'er Randy Abeck (where is he now) on cassette after reading about Wilson in magazines like Freak Beat etc. Stuff like "Sky Moves Sideways" i thought was pretty boring. I got "Signify" on Delerium CD when it came out and it bored me AGAIN! I traded the CD off in rec.music.progressive, I never got beyond the long whoshes of Floyd numbness. BUT, when I started getting into music again after tossing all my HW and other CDs in the bin (i swore I was without need for any of it), around 2003-4, well I discovered that PT had turned METAL and gotten much attention and were huge in prog circles when Prog became cool (or uncool, if you think Radiohead has anything to do with Prog then hang yourself) again I started downloading PT on The Pirate Bay and thought they were a band I really had missed out on with stuff like "Stupid Dream" which i really liked. So I now have most PT CDs on
 either CDRs and some remasters of the early Delerium and have taken a liking to them. I got "Nil Recurring" and was really disappointed in it. "Fear" and "Deadwing" were pretty cool though. I think its bizarre how they went metal but it works. Did they sell out, that is the question.

Christian

----- Original Message ----
From: Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Thursday, 7 August, 2008 4:40:58 PM
Subject: Re: OFF: Porcupine Tree "Even Less" Demo version vs. "Stupid Dream" rewritten version

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 02:41:58AM +0000, Amphetamine Embalmer typed out:
> PT interested folk, an off observation for BOC-l: the demo version of
> this Porcupine Tree song is totally different in lyrics then what
> appeared on "Stupid Dream" - its really cool how its totally opposite
> meanings and last minute changes to totally diff. lyrics. Too tired to
> type ALL them out but its really cool how they differ so much.- the
> first is about innocent Jesus and praying to God and a killer striking
> twice in a night, no mention of a Friend I cannot reach or being a
> martyr, for the grace of god for even less. Great song both versions!
> I enjoy how they are totally different. The demo is a must hear, its
> very negative.

    It's not quite as different as you think, in fact; the full
version of the track on _Recordings_ has all the lyrics of the demo
version, but the controversial ones are all shunted into the latter
half, so that they don't make the _Stupid Dream_ edit version. The
`killer' stanza is gone but pretty much everything else remains,
including some angry flailing against the Bible I imagine you'd enjoy.
The second half was also a B-side somewhere I think, I mean they milked
those three albums so dry it hurt to squeeze them. That was about when I
realised I was finished with being a PT Kollector.

> I also love "Piano Lessons" lyrics.

    The lyrics are all that stop `How Is Your Life Today?' being
`Piano Lessons' take 2, in fact. Yours,
                     Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
        (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk