OFF: Porcupine Tree "Even Less" Demo version vs. "Stupid Dream" rewritten version

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Aug 8 11:50:37 EDT 2008

On 07 Aug 2008, at 17:34 , Amphetamine Embalmer wrote:
> okay then, but Metal sells alot more than underground Delerium
> label psyche/space rock. Metal fills stadiums, so i call that
> selling out. Billboard and European charts and in stores they are
> selling in the Metal section with Burzum and Cradle Of Filth. Those
> guys sell alot of Metal, or the Black/Death version of it which has
> become so popular.........

Well, it is true that bands like Nightwish score significant chart
success in Europe.  Nevertheless, if metal bands are filling
stadiums, I don't think I can be too upset with the trend -- whether
or not it's selling out! :)  Have Opeth become more like PT, or PT
more like Opeth? :)

Hmm, now do Hawkwind and BOC fill stadiums by becoming more metal,
less metal, or simply releasing more coherent records?  Well, I'd say
the the third of those would be a good start. :)  Number one might
not hurt, but it can't help without option three! :)

It's true that "classic metal" seems relatively popular these
days ... maybe HW can dust off the Live Chronicle set list and get a
dude in with a white wig and big sword. :)  And BOC could stop being
happy to be a county fair oldies act and act like that had something
to say (preferably something sinister, if they can manage it).
Difficult for them when so many of the players are basically guns for
hire, though .... There HW has the advantage: there've been so many
darned people passing through the band that they can have just about
anyone in there as long as they get the vibe right (though getting
the vibe right seems to be one of their major difficulties! ;))

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson