HW Knights of Space

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 8 12:08:36 EDT 2008

Whatever people might think of the content (and I realize not everyone is as big a fan of the album as I am) I think it would be crazy for anyone to deny that Levitation is one of the one of the most crisp and clean sounding albums ever.  It was digital recording done right, and I think that remastering could only detract from what's now about as close to a perfect mastering job as I've ever heard.  Especially given modern studio standard practice:
(1) compress the shit out of it
(2) increase volume past clipping level
(3) repeat until totally ruined

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
Date: Friday, Aug 8, 2008 10:50 am
Subject: Re: HW Knights of Space
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 02:50:22PM -0400, StevePXR5 at AOL.COM typed out:
 It concerns me what you say about the sound. During the Question Time at
 Hawkfest, remastering was mentioned for the albums soon to be re-issued on
 Cheery Red. Dave said the band aren't doing it, someone else is.

	I think that's encouraging, actually. If the band was doing it
it would end up getting done at Barkalot Farm and sounding that same
flavour of "I HAVE A COMPUTER IN MY BEDROOM!" as TMYTL does, which would
be a shame for things as sharp-sounding as the Charisma material ought
to be, and even more so for _Levitation_ (which hardly *needs*
remastering). And if, as someone else said, it's the same team as did
the Deep Purple remasters, then that's good enough for me (though Dale
Churchett would be better, wherever he went...) Yours,
							Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk