HW Knights of Space

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Aug 8 12:40:49 EDT 2008

On 08 Aug 2008, at 11:08 , Steve Swann wrote:
> I think it would be crazy for anyone to deny that Levitation is one
> of the one of the most crisp and clean sounding albums ever.  It
> was digital recording done right, and I think that remastering
> could only detract from what's now about as close to a perfect
> mastering job as I've ever heard.

Levitation does sound pretty good.  Honestly, I've seldom heard re-
mastering do much for many "'80s and after releases" unless the
original mastering for CD was just stupidly messed up.

Like, the 2006 re-release of _Spine of God_ is rather more compressed
than the original CD release, but the original CD mastering was also
not very good. So, I like the 2006 version rather better.

> Especially given modern studio standard practice:
> (1) compress the shit out of it
> (2) increase volume past clipping level
> (3) repeat until totally ruined

This trend really is reaching ridiculous levels.  I've got some
recent CDs where there will be this delicate little keyboard or
acoustic intro to a song, and then the band comes in with a
"whommmmm" power chord, except that the levels are so insanely
redlined that it sounds like someone farting through a bad phone line
rather than a massive explosion of gloriously amplified awesomeness.
Fizzes like a bottle of Coke dropped from orbit!  Kinda of takes away
from the intended effect, I think ....

Someone needs to step in and put the brakes on this.  You want to
stupidly compress the single going out to radios and as a videos or
whatever: OK, what the heck.  No one buys singles any more
anyway. :)  Burn the competition's ears out!  But on a whole CD?
These insanely over-compressed to superloudness CDs start to get a
bit wearing after a few tracks (even if they don't fuzz out at
points) and who wants to listen to that?

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson