HW: Remaster everything on the Atomhenge Label

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 8 15:09:31 EDT 2008

Actually the specific album I was referencing was Space Ritual, so its possible my comment may not apply to the others.  I mean, I would expect it to, but I didn't really compare.

If the One Way albums were mastered from vinyl, this may be yet another case of some things just sounded better on vinyl (Thick As A Brick being my canonical example of that).  If that makes me a goddam loony then so be it.  :)

And it definitely doesn't apply to everything - you just saw me wax rhapsodic about great the cd of Levitation sounds...

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: The Bishop Of Battle <insect.brain at GMAIL.COM>
Date: Friday, Aug 8, 2008 1:36 pm
Subject: Re: HW: Remaster everything on the Atomhenge Label
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

wonder if steve was comparing doremi's?? I like Simon King's version of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doremi_Fasol_Latido
glad I got the German 1st UK press now, you can make war with that LP you know.....
On 8/8/08, John Majka <jmajk at indy.rr.com> wrote:

> Hmmm quite an odd minority opinion about the One Way issues of the early
 albums, I'd say.  They were all mastered from vinyl, complete with pops and
 cracks.  My opinion is probably the same as that of most people, which is
 that they sounded terrible.  The Repertoire editions sounded somewhat
 better, but then I think that the EMI remasters were a revelation.  They
 sound as if ten layers of mud were removed from the master tapes, revealing
 the music in all its glory.
 John Majka

 I don't know if anyone considers this blasphemy, but I recently re-listened