HW Knights of Space

Sat Aug 23 19:18:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:54:33AM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> Purely out of curiosity, I now find myself wondering what you would
> pick as their worst album and how many stand between it and TMTYL? :)

	Well, there's a question. I think their worst, for me, is
unquestionably _Zones_, a hodge-podge of sub-par live material redeemed
from scratched plastic monotony only by a few moments of tension, and
studio offerings that should never have been committed to tape
(`Dangerous Visions', I'm looking at you). I also don't reckon
IitBotFtbD very much, I mean it's not bad but it's not exciting at all,
to me at least. IYA has some excellent stuff on it but is marred by
badly-edited Rizz and is perhaps the most schizophrenically-split of all
HW albums, Dave on one side and a band on the other and when the twain
meet it's got Rizz all over it (I was much happier with him on _Hawkwind
1997_). _Out and Intake_ is like _Zones_ only without the extremes
and with more anonymous production. And I like _Spacebrock_ for what it
is, viz a Dave solo album, but TMYTL is clearly better. Then we get down
into the fine print. I'd have trouble deciding between TMYTL and any of
_Sonic Attack_, flawed though it be, _Church of Hawkwind_ or _Space
Bandits_. For some reason _Church_ is a very nice unit, even though
perhaps it's not electrically exciting; on the other hand it's
questionable what one loses off _Space Bandits_ if one can still own
_California Brainstorm_. So I guess in a pinch I'd keep _Space
Bandits_ and _Church_ in the ranks above and drop _Sonic Attack_,
some of which I like but some of which is really tedious, below. All the
other core albums I'd probably take over TMYTL, except that if I was
allowed to keep _Love in Space_ I'd keep TMYTL rather than _Alien4_ (but
if we were only ranking studio albums _Alien4_ would beat it), and
actually _Yule Ritual_, good though it is, doesn't really do anything
that some other live album somewhere doesn't do better.

	So, at that rate, I guess that currently TMYTL is 9th from the
bottom, out of what, 34 core albums? Not so great perhaps, maybe you
were right to question my commitment to it, but I'm still quite pleased
by it as an album. I mean, most of the ones I've ranked below it I like
in some way, it's really only _Zones_ and IYA I find genuinely
unsatisfactory and even they have things on that still make me play
them. O&I is pretty pointless too, basically I don't like the bag-of-
bits approach to an album, TiHDnP excepted because it's all great stuff.
Even these days, annoyed and disappointed, I remain a fan, you know.
Yours,
	Jon

ObMP3: Amon Tobin - `Chomp Samba'
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk