+++stop press+++advertising aid item french hassan+++one man isolator+++

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 25 07:40:57 EDT 2008

Yeah the people who keep tabs on these things at work tell me that the shiny new high capacity disks (I think they said anything .5 Gig+) use some magnetic storage scheme that is more prone to sudden catastrophic failure than the previous mag tech.  Dunno how that washes with the last 20 years of improvments in drive mechanism reliability...  But they advised me the same thing - cycle backups between drives by diff manufacturers.  Which I have done, then after the dual failures 6 months from now, some helpful soul will doubtless point out my error in purchasing from two relabelers who use the same underlying OEM drive.  :)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
Date: Friday, Aug 22, 2008 5:56 pm
Subject: Re: +++stop press+++advertising aid item french hassan+++one man   isolator+++
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On 22 Aug 2008, at 16:26 , Paul Mather wrote:
 Are your two hard drives from different manufacturers, or at least
 from different batches if the same model?  There's an increased
 chance of simultaneous/close together failures otherwise.  I'd hate
 for all your eggs to be lost in one go...

Same manufacturer, I think, but different models and all. Purchased
in different countries, I think!  I tend to keep the backup drive
disconnected and powered down except when actually doing a periodic
backup.

Good points, though!  You can never have too much redundancy.

(I've always got the CDs for most things, of course, though re-
ripping them would be pain!  But of course the CDs are subject to the
evil CD rot, vinyl gets scratched, tapes wear thin or get
magnetized ... and a house fire would really screw it all! ;))

Cheer,s
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson