HW: Return Of The Legendary Space Rangers

Ian Abrahams ianabrahams1 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Dec 3 10:22:54 EST 2008

But the CDs aren't being reissued chronologically so its not a case of the Charisma ones arriving and then everything tailing off. I mean, Esoteric have done a comprehensive Man reissue over the last 18 months so I don't really see a problem with a Hawkwind programme over the same timescale... even in these troubled times.

Ian

--- On Wed, 12/3/08, Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
From: Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
Subject: Re: HW: Return Of The Legendary Space Rangers
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 10:31 AM

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:02:35PM +0000, Ian Abrahams typed out:
> Iain, to be fair the anthologies are principally marketed for the
> casual listener as an introduction to these albums which have been
> unavailable for so long, adding one or two unreleased tracks adds
> value for the die-hard collectors who must have everything when they
> could have been shelling out for a complete set of previously released
> tracks, but its not the target audience for these releases. Wait until
> you get Hawklords... the track list there on the bonus disc looks like
> it'll blow us all away!!

	These anthologies are certainly good selections which should
cause any new fan to bite deep, though I do wonder whether a new fan
will really shell out 20 quid on a box set. The two-version
_Epoch-Eclipse_ approach seemed like a good one here, especially with
its exclusive content.

	As for contents, though, I am noticing two things:

(i) the unreleased stuff is all on the first set - does this indicate
that the vaults were already emptied to make the EBS recordings?

(ii) some well-judged inclusions and exclusions (one track only from
_Out and Intake_, only two from _Zones_, well, fair enough, though
only two from _California Brainstorm_ is a bit of a pity) but odd
firstly to see anything from _White Zone_ (is that in the reissue
program?!) and *nothing* from _Love in Space_! It is being reissued,
right?

	That said, I will freely admit that I will be surprised, and
pleasantly so, if we make it to the next stage of reissues, because
of the money issues I outlined last time this subject came up, but I was
ever the cynic, hey? And I'm as keen to have CDs of the Charisma stuff
as anyone.

	A third thing, though, that hadn't struck me before. Had anyone
else noticed that Dave and Nik are now on the same label again? Look:
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/atomhenge/releases.htm
Joint tour anyone? :-) Yours,
			      Jon

ObCassette: R. E. M. - _Life's Rich Pageant_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk