HW: Re: Space Ritual 2009

Tue Dec 30 14:11:18 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 03:46:35PM -0600, mike coleman typed out:
> I can say that when a friend brought up Nik in the past, Lemmy shut him down
> in an instant....maybe Nik told him he should stop taking speed....
> but enough a my yakin'.....

	I think there is basis for thinking that Lemmy doesn't really
see any need to deal with Nik. The piece of this evidence that's always
stuck with me is an interview with Lemmy that was done in the wake of
the Hawkestra, when Lemmy was decidedly uncharitable about Dave's guitar
playing these days and complained about doing the songs as a `medley'. I
think it was also in that interview, and if not that one one at a
similar time, where the interviewer asked how he got on with Nik these
days, since Nik had basically got him fired, and Lemmy's answer was
only, "He just rang me up and apologised for that the other day, you
know". No further details, just this implication that Lemmy had been
waiting for that since 1975! I admire his score-keeping. Andy Gilham
lent me his copy of _White Line Fever_, in fact, and that's my current
bedtime reading. Lemmy's story-telling is one of his undersung skills,
but from a man who likes to talk like that, I think a short answer
probably tells us something...

	The other thing that has often struck me about this is that when
it comes to looking back on the glorious early seventies Hawkwind, Nik
and Lemmy are at opposite ends of the spectrum of memory. Nik's
interviews always make it sound like one friendly commune giving out joy
tickets to everyone they came near and Playing for the People Man, and
this is the `spirit of Hawkwind' he invokes now when he thinks Dave's
being an arsehole over the name and so on. Lemmy's version seems
directly built to steamroller that and always goes on about Dik Mik
using his audio generator to try and make trippers go into spasms and
generally the band being about messing people up. You have to figure
that both of them are remembering the Hawkwind they want to have been
part of, but equally, if those ideologies were similar then, you can see
how the two of them getting along must have been difficult. To say
nothing of their *musical* ideologies, Lemmy the ultimate professional
mercenary bassist and Nik, well... So I find it hard to believe they get
on now except out of necessity. And why does Lemmy need to? Nik was
ringing him to apologise to make the Hawkestra possible, I imagine...
All hypothetical but I like to play the game anyway. Yours,
							    Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk