Astoria last night / Good support bands.

Mon Jan 14 04:42:00 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:00:21AM +0000, Iain Ferguson typed out:
> I can only think of Vardis ( i'm sure they supported hawkwind, or did
> they just cover Silver Machine, o the old memory is going....  Worst
> bands, how about for starters Baron Rojo from about 83

	<snip>

> Steve Freight wrote:

	<snip>

> >don't think so somehow. This raised a discussion point last night - why are
> >Hawkwind support bands invariably poor?

	I've always wondered about Baron Rojo since some kind soul on
here supplied me with a copy of the 1983 tour programme. (I'm pretty
sure it was a Steve but I don't remember which one, we have had so
many...) They did look as if they must been awesomely terrible,
particularly the knackered-Burt-Reynolds-a-like drummer. Glad to know
they lived up to appearances! Yours,
				     Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk