HW: Harvey's "Red Shift"

Tue Jan 15 09:33:14 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 06:53:12PM -0500, John Majka typed out:
> Indeed the first pressing was a "real" CD....   I have one.  And yes, it's
> rather good, isn't it?  I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see
> Mr. Bainbridge contribute once again to the Hawkwind collective.  And Huw
> for that matter!

	<snip>

	_Red Shift_ is indeed a rather good CD, although with a mite
more production value and maybe a quarter of the material; left off it
would be world-class. The first track (`Solar Drive Down'?) always makes
me think of TD's `Rubycon Pt. 1' and that's no bad thing.

	Harvey is a valuable addition to any band, although isn't he
working with some dubious power-metal outfit called Ego Prime at the
moment? I'm not sure I want to test this theory that far. If I could
reintroduce one old member to Hawkwind currently it would be Simon
House, but Harvey's a close second. Meanwhile, though, the CD he did
with Spaceseed is quite entertaining. Mostly a mixed bag of jams and
occasional riffrock, with a very agile drummer, but also long
spoken-word pieces mostly voiced by Harvey in his own inimitable style.
The odd thing is that he didn't write most of them! They sure as hell
sound like his stuff. Worrying that there should be two brains like
that. Also his synths help. I rather like it anyway; it's called _Empire
of Night_ and has a cover to match the most conspiracy-theory rant
Harvey could possibly come up with. Yours,
					   Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk