HW/OFF: oh how cool-Hawkwind/Captain Beyond

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jan 17 09:35:48 EST 2008

mike coleman writes:

> M wrote:
> > Well, while he's no great actor, and the movies tend to be very
> > formulaic, they are at least mostly fun. I particularly liked "Under
> > Siege" which they might as well have called "Die Hard on a Ship".

> >True. His movies have something that makes them far more fun to watch than
> >the works of van Damme, or Stallone, for that matter

> *and then recently, enterTarantino: what was the one with Russell where he
> bashes women up to death in his race car???

I must have missed that one. Is it one of those movies with
incomprehensible black street patois? I always switch those off in the
first five minutes. It's hard enough to grok yank accents without them
not even speaking English. There oughta be subtitles I tell ya.

> and then the other one with
> aliens where Tarantino himself has a dripping-off private part???*
> now that's SUPERBAD

Hmmmm.  You're not thinking of "Battlefield Earth" which is based on
Scientology god L.Ron Hubbard's book and in which John Travolta (the
actor and not the Director Tarantino) had some sort of thing dripping
from his nose for the entire movie? I suspect it was supposed to be
breathing apparatus but it could have been his Operating Thetan for all
I cared.

If so, I saw it as part of a comedy show in which three folks talk us
through the movie like the robots in Mystery Science 3000. A lot of fun
was had because this is a movie that is so bad that it's entertaining
*as* a bad movie (as is Armageddon because of the abysmal science
therein).

Compare and contrast with "Kill Bill". I was assured by several people
that this was a great movie. I watched at least 45 minutes and damn near
lost the will to live I was so bored. The acting was so dire, the plot
so hackneyed, and the action sequences so dull, that it wasn't even
interesting as a bad movie. I've seen porn that's had a better script.

I do watch a lot of telly though. Maybe I'm just fussy. Certainly not a
lot of people agree with my movie reviews on facebook (feel free to
try...)

FoFP