(NIK) Otherworld at a glance/Open Letter To Nik

Tue Jan 22 15:29:15 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 04:07:52PM -0600, mike coleman typed out:
> would you like the "free" aspect of this passed on to yourself???
> mike
> (I'm gathering you've peeked but not purchased)

	<snip>

	Going entirely on hearsay, in fact, not actual `hear'. But when
I see the band again--well, actually, last time I was supposed to go and
see them I forgot, so maybe my intent is not so strong; instead, when I
next put in a music order, and why I don't do this more often I don't
know these days, I will in fact buy it by way of feeding the starving
artists.

> ps-I've wondered for YEARS if I'd ever see 2 basses in a band,  just figured
> it must be pointless

	<snip>

	I have seen it--in fact the second, Nik-fronted Hawkestra gig,
had four, Ron, Ade, Dave A. and Thomas Crimble, and only two
guitars--but the best place I have seen it is with a very snarky band
called Toupé, who are I think from Southampton. They bill themselves as
`dual-bass alternative funk', and one of them plays lead on a six-string
and writes witty lyrics (and also crass ones), the other plays rhythm on
a four-string with more effects in one suitcase panel than I've ever
seen share a stage, some of which are for his vocals. (There is also a
third one who plays drums, but he changes.) Some of the songs are
excellent, some are less so but they are all brilliant musicians and
enjoy showing off, and with them, it works. Whether two basses and a
guitar works, though, I don't think I've ever seen. Guitar bass and
cello, yes, but that isn't the same. Yours,
					    Jon

P. S. In fact they are here: http://www.toupe.co.uk/index.html
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk