Aural Innovations Space Rock Radio: Rod Summers/VEC Audio Dramas Special

Jerry Kranitz jkranitz at AURAL-INNOVATIONS.COM
Sun Jul 20 07:00:06 EDT 2008

http://Aural-Innovations.com

JULY 20, 2008: NEW RADIO SHOW

I've just uploaded a new show from Aural Innovations Space Rock Radio (show
#204). See the playlist below. Aural Innovations broadcasts 24 hours a day
in hi and lo bandwidth Mp3 and RealAudio editions. You can go directly to
the Radio shows page at:
http://aural-innovations.com/radio/radio.html

Aural Innovations Space Rock Radio (show #204)

Rod Summers/VEC Audio Dramas Special

Here's something quite different for Aural Innovations Space Rock Radio. Rod
Summers is a veteran audio artist, having bought his first tape recorder in
1960, and, as an outgrowth of his involvement in the international mail art
network, organized the VEC Audio Exchange Project, which produced 16
compilation tapes between 1978-1983.

Rod recently shared several CDs of his work spanning several years. One of
the standouts was the Two Audio Dramas CD, which struck me as inventive,
humorous, and wildly OUT THERE. Tune in and hear two radio plays, with a 10
minute cosmic musical piece between the two plays. These are older
recordings but are good fun to listen to and I couldn't resist sharing them
with my listeners. Given that this is a Space Rock show I imagine this will
bring a smile to the faces of Robert Calvert fans.

[Track 1: 0:00-46:00] Helgi Saga

>From the CD notes: The audio-drama Helgi Saga was written and recorded from
May to November 1985. Inspiration sources for the original story were many
and various but the main ones were my Viking friends Helgi "The Turtle"
Fridjonsson and Por Elis Palsson, the Icelandic sagas, especially Burnt
Njall's Saga, and the Bible, book of Ezekial, chapter one from verse four.

The story itself is a black comedy about the progress of a noble Viking who,
whilst at battle on behalf of a Norwegian king, has a close encounter of the
third kind with robot representatives from Cosmic Control.

[Track 2: 46:00-56:00] Sagara (cosmic music)

[Track 3: 56:00-71:00] The Saga of Brjan The Raud & The Scoring Technique In
Cribbage

An audio drama & sound poem by Rod Summers

For for lots of detailed information about Rod's work and history, including
audio and interviews you can visit:
http://maastrichtmoetjehoren.blogspot.com/search/label/rod%20summers

http://Aural-Innovations.com