TMTYL

Tue Jul 22 17:51:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:37:06PM -0500, mike coleman typed out:
> >        This is one of those things where people seem to remember it
> > different, innit, most especially Lemmy and Nik, though I was
> > listening to _1999 Party_ last night, with Nik doing his best menace
> > over `Warriors at the Edge of Time' and thinking: "Nah. You were
> > into the scary schtick then, mate, you just don't want to remember
> > it that way".
>
> *well we disagree again....I think Nik doing those vocals is as good as it
> ever got (for an american who wasn't at HW gigs then)  and in fact I mailed
> Nik about this very thing a few months ago*
> *I liked Nik doing the vocals on stuff like that the very best..;;;;just my
> opinion, not saying it's the right one or the best one....I have stated
> before that I always considered Nik the other head of a two-headed Hawk, and
> quite frankly, I wish to god he could get along with Dave, and not
> over-honk, because I wish he was in Hawkwind......I hope he dirched the
> white alien-spikey suit by now though...*

	No, no, I think I've been misunderstood here. What I mean is,
you know how when Nik talks about Hawkwind he pictures it as this happy
hippy commune where everyone was nice and friendly; and when Lemmy talks
about it he emphasises the messing with the audience, the playing with
frequencies that resonated body cavities and the general attack. What I
was saying is that _1999 Party_ makes it sound very much as if Nik
didn't mind being frightening at times too.

	I've seen Nik be good with Hawkwind, and I've seen him be bad;
on the whole I'd rather overall that Nik brought Farflung etc. as his
backing band over to the UK than see either Space Ritual or Hawkwind at
the moment, but until Nik finds some fellow travellers with that much
discipline, the real Hawks are going to be the dependable act. Not that
some of Nik's chaotic gigs haven't been fun... but not all of them by a
long chalk.

> >    *Oh I'm sure it is, but wouldn't Lemmy know it was being used??, etc,
> > etc...*

	Oh right. Well, I can't imagine he objects to extra revenue. But
I bet he bitches in interviews about how Hawkwind are still making money
out of his singing... Yours,
			     Jon

ObCD: Pressurehed - _Sudden Vertigo_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk