TMTYL

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Jul 22 21:29:42 EDT 2008

On 22 Jul 2008, at 8:37 PM, Mary Sullivan wrote:

> My real interest in psychoacoustics is to change states of mind,
> especially
> my own, and induce relaxation.

I think there is a confusion of terminology here.  As I understand it,
"psychoacoustics" is the field that studies the psychophysics of
hearing, i.e., the limits that the biology and operation of the human
ear places upon the ability to perceive sounds.  What you seem to be
talking about is how sound affects higher-order brain functioning.
This may well fall under the umbrella of psychoacoustics but it's not
what springs to my mind when the term is used.

Still, it's all interesting.

Cheers (and heartfelt condolences),

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu