HW: Welcome to the Future

Steve Youles youless at COX.NET
Mon Jun 9 00:24:28 EDT 2008

Taking Jon's questions in reverse order...

I just A/B listened to the version on the Welcome To The Future comp, which
the Codex accounts as 1L, along with that found on 'Silver Machine' (Hallmark
compilation) which is claimed to be 1aL.

They may well be different mixes.  The WTTF version has a much hotter audio
signal so I was hearing more detail as a result, but I am sure both of these are
from the same performance, because of the melodies played on the wibbly
keyboard parts that sound rather flute-like.  However the 1aL version fades
out on Brock's vocals where the one on WTTF continues on (and on)
eventually getting to some Bob Calvert ranting.  In that sense, the oft-
compiled version 1aL is definitely cut by comparison with WTTF's 1L.

(I wonder if the hotter signal on 1L indicates it's a desk recording, with the
dingier-sounding 1aL being an audience recording? That would certainly be
consistent with apparently different mixes...)

Re: Cake Out or Hash Cake '77 as it is often called... Although WTTF's sleeve
notes claim this is from Stonehenge 77, I have an audience recording of that
performance and it's not included.  As with 'Slap It On Der Table' and
Watchfield, I think it has become erroneously associated with a particular free
festival because it first saw light of day on the old "Hawkwind Live at
Stonehenge and Watchfield" vinyl bootleg album.

Both sound like rehearsal room / recording studio jams to me. FWIW.

Steve

On Sat, 31 May 2008 18:24:12 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>	Dear All,
>		  a little while ago I picked up a 2CD comp called this,
>because it united a load of Weird Tapes and extra material I'd never
>managed to pick up. I see that the Codex knows of it, but for others
>I'll just say that it has the Watchfield Festival triplet, most of the
>set from _Atomhenge 76_ (lacking only `Uncle Sam's on Mars' and `Time
>for Sale', which is just as well I suppose because otherwise I'd have a
>redundant CD), and on disc 2 the Stonehenge 1977 and Sonic Assassins
>sets. Several of these things I'd never heard before, and so I wondered
>if people could answer what may be some pretty basic questions.
>
>	Firstly, what on earth is `Slap It On The Table'? It's not a
>live track at all, is it? How did it get lumped with the Watchfield
>stuff?
>
>	Secondly, is `Cake Out' genuinely part of the Stonehenge set? It
>doesn't sound like the same mix to me but it's hard to be sure, and of
>course it might not be the same mix and still be from the same original
>tape.
>
>	Thirdly, how on earth did the original, as I assume this is,
>recording of the Sonic Assassins `Angels of Life', codex # 1L, get
>turned into the one we know from infinite comps, codex ' 1aL? The codex
>says the latter is a cut, but it's more than that surely, the guitar and
>keyboard balance is quite different in the `Angels' section, and some of
>the vocals are too; is this is just editing? Wow. And who bothered, and
>why?
>
>	I suppose the answers to these may not be known, but equally
>maybe they are and I just always missed them before because of not
>having heard the right bits... Grateful for any answers, yours,

	Jon