HW: Welcome to the Future

Wed Jun 18 09:35:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:24:28AM -0400, Steve Youles typed out:
> I just A/B listened to the version on the Welcome To The Future comp, which
> the Codex accounts as 1L, along with that found on 'Silver Machine' (Hallmark
> compilation) which is claimed to be 1aL.

	<snip>

> (I wonder if the hotter signal on 1L indicates it's a desk recording, with the
> dingier-sounding 1aL being an audience recording? That would certainly be
> consistent with apparently different mixes...)

	They do sound quite different, though I agree that for what's
there the same things are happening in the same order, so I think this
is the most likely answer; maybe somebody in the band was doing a Larry
Boyd and recording on a `blaster' for their own archive...

> Re: Cake Out or Hash Cake '77 as it is often called... Although WTTF's sleeve
> notes claim this is from Stonehenge 77, I have an audience recording of that
> performance and it's not included.  As with 'Slap It On Der Table' and
> Watchfield, I think it has become erroneously associated with a particular free
> festival because it first saw light of day on the old "Hawkwind Live at
> Stonehenge and Watchfield" vinyl bootleg album.
>
> Both sound like rehearsal room / recording studio jams to me. FWIW.

	Glad it's not just me that thought that. Thanks for doing the
check-ups, Steve! Yours,
			 Jon

ObCD: Talking Heads - _More Songs About Buildings and Food_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk