TMTYL

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Jun 20 11:43:02 EDT 2008

On 20 Jun 2008, at 09:44 , mike coleman wrote:
> so while you guys get the technical part all patched up how's about
> this:
> return to original mission statement:  band is a black nightmare
> out to make
> people's head's and sphincters explode....
> slap governments in face and reduce to little schoolgirls....

Well, that would probably help, too :)

> my comment about Silver Machine popping up meant this to me: Lemmy
> is on
> good terms with band......?

My sense is that Lemmy is on reasonable terms with Brock and retains
fond memories of Hawkwind -- he usually says as much in interviews,
always trotting out the observations that he really loved being in
Hawkwind and was devastated when they fired him but that, in
retrospect, they certainly did his career a favour. ;)  However, I
think the Hawkestra experience probably cured him of any remaining
interest in doing anything with the Hawkcrowd! ;)  What a train-
wreck ....

Now there is a point to be made that Motorhead's records soldier on
in good array.  Their sound has evolved (believe it or not! ;) but
there is very little in the mix to distract you from the fact that
they are a very loud 3-piece rock'n'roll band.  And, as I believe the
Lemmster has pointed out, so are (or should be) Hawkwind, just with
some extra Dr. Who noises tacked on top of it all.  Listening to
recent HW studio output, however, one could be forgiven for missing
this basic functional similarity.

On the other hand, live output from recent years can be still pretty
ripping; go back and listen to those 2006 Roadburn recordings for
example (most of my ripped copies from the stream, I seem to have
lost, though I still have a few tracks).  Check out that recording of
"The Right Stuff", f'r instance -- _that's_ the vibe we oughta be
expecting in a modern Hawkwind studio effort.  Now that the trading
ban has been lifted, there's lots of recent HW audience recordings
floating around that show this.  The actual recording quality by be a
bit dodgy, but the power of the band is (IMO) much more evident on
these than in the studio recordings from the last 10 years, at least.

Cheers,
Carl

ps - and after all that bitching about people copying the Roadburn
stream, did they ever release a CD version? Nope!  I'd totally buy it
if they did: great set!

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/