TMTYL

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Jun 20 11:55:25 EDT 2008

On 20 Jun 2008, at 09:39 , iain ferguson wrote:
> You may well be right and certainly I work in both Analog & digital
> worlds with music, infact more digital these days.

Well, I guess everything is really an analogue digital hybrid these
days.  After all, when I record my guitar or voice, it's still going
through an analog transfer before it becomes digital.  And then,
whatever I do it the data once it's digital, it eventually gets
turned back into an analogue signal so my speakers can thwack at the
air and send me something I can hear. :)

Now that I think of it ... apart from some extremely amateur
recordings made to cassette when I was a kid -- and of course some
Das Ludicroix things recorded on ol' Larry's boombox -- virtually
every recording I've ever been on or made has been principally
digital.  Even when my first ever band went into Chris Bruce's studio
back in the early '90s, we recorded on 24-track ADAT.  (I still have
a demo CD from that, and if there are any problems with the
recording, they were neither digital coldness nor overproduction --
they were that we weren't very good! :)

> just looking at the SCHWA software synth to see if it has any
> lovely old moog style swoops - Looks good (www.stillwellaudio.com)
> not a plug

Mmmm, and they produce AU versions of most of the Schwa stuff that I
could drop into GarageBand. :)  I haven't really worked out a way to
make good Hawkwindy swoosh-whoop noises in Garageband yet.  I keep
hoping I can convince Scott Heller to do some stuff on his proper
synths :)

Cheers,
Carl

--