OFF: Chicago Record Stores

Frank frank.weil at COMCAST.NET
Wed Oct 8 22:50:47 EDT 2008

Of course, part of this depends on what you mean by "in Chicago". We are a
rather sprawling area with fairly poor public transportation and large
commute times.

Unfortunately, one of my favorites, Hip Cat Records, seems to have closed.
They were always good for hard-to-find releases, and the owner was a Pink
Floyd and Hawkwind fan.

Near my old stomping grounds in the near-northwest suburbs, and where I
spent much time and money during my formative years, is Rolling Stones
Records: http://www.rollingstonesmusic.com/. I'm not sure how much they have
in the line of vinyl anymore, though. Having kids has put a damper on my
music-store forays.

In Chicago itself is Metal Haven records:
http://www.metalhavenchicago.com/contact.html.

I haven't been there myself, but I've heard that Shooting Star, way the hell
out northwest in Carpentersville, is good:
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Shooting.Stars.Records.And.Collectibl
es.847-836-9007

Also, there is Record Breakers:
http://www.reggieslive.com/recordbreakers/index.shtml, but I haven't been
there since they moved to the city from Hoffman Estates. Note, too, that if
you go much farther south on State Street from there you will end up in
less-than-desirable neighborhoods (think gunfire).

Have fun in Chicago!

Frank