OFF: Ringo just says no so autographing.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Oct 14 18:13:56 EDT 2008

On 14 Oct 2008, at 12:59 , Mary Sullivan wrote:
> I wouldn't ask someone for their autograph, not
> so much that I can't read it, I just don't want to be a bother, and an
> exchange of a few words is more meaningful.

Yes, indeed.  When I was in university, I was a keen autograph
collector (when I could get autographs, at least!).  Later, though I
sort of went off of the autograph thing.  I understand the impetus
for fans -- to have that little scrap of a personal connection with a
hero, with someone who inspires you.  I think I just eventually found
that _real_ personal connection, even relatively brief or virtual
ones -- chatting to Al at tBS shows or on this list, or swapping
messages with Alan Davey on MySpace -- were (as we might expect in
the normal course of human relationships) rather more enjoyable than
wholly vicarious ones.  I do still value, say, Al's signature on my
tBS or Imaginos CD booklets, but mostly because I value having met
and spoken with Al. :)  I know I've got other autographs here and
there ... but if I never really "met" the autographer beyond the
context of getting the autograph, I think I've mostly forgotten the
autographs, too!

Still, I wouldn't part from the autographs of famous folks I've met
and remember :) mostly because it's a reminder of the meeting.  Since
I never met John Lennon, I'm not sure I could value the autograph as
more than a piece of historical memorabilia -- it wouldn't be
anything _personal_.  Perhaps I would cheerfully sell such a thing on
eBay or elsewhere .... though I suppose I'm unlikely to have to worry
about it! :)

I remember Andy Gilham, once upon a time of this list, cracking wise
that ICU albums that _didn't_ have Nik's signature on them might well
be rarer (and so more valuable) than those that _did_. ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson