OFF: ELDERHEAD ex Finally Balanced x Canis Minor

Stewartbas at AOL.COM Stewartbas at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 30 14:20:36 EDT 2008

Some of you old timers might remember Finally Balanced the  psych/ prog/jam
outfit from Long Island NY in the mid-nineties as well as  Canis Minor, the
ambient/electronic duo of Thom Karcher (bass/chapman stick/FX)  and Joe Silva
(FX/synths/keys). Both bands, at one time or another, have opened  for the Hawks
and have played free at numerous festivals (ala Hawkwind)  throughout
N.America. Finally Balanced is still kicking around Long Island  playing the bar/party
circuit and Canis Minor (by far the better of the two) are  in stasis. Which
brings us to Elderhead a psych/ black/death metal power trio,  fronted by Thom
 (bass/fx) and Duncan ( guitar/voc ) and a very,very good  drummer.
This was their last gig as a Motorhead tribute band and I'm glad I caught
it. I was a bit apprehensive as I just saw Motorhhead a few weeks ago and when
one still has the real thing stuck in the mind the tribute band always comes
up  short. Wrong! These guys sure had their shit together.  This was as close
as you could come to the REAL thing without going completely over the top.
Thom,  as usual, was a monster on bass and Duncan, at times, sounded EXACTLY like
the  Lemster and the drummer was a Philthy clone, yes, Philthy not Mickee.
High  lights were definitely Iron Fist, Stay Clean, and an encore of MOTU --and
the  place went NUTS.
Well that's it for the tribute stuff and they are now going full steam into
the murky world of Black Metal. They got a record deal and tour pending..Good
Luck lads!
Also spotted in the audience was James O'Keefe ( The Veteran Cosmic  Rocker),
as some of you might recall, hosted and produced the seminal weekly  radio
show 'SONIC ATTACK' in which he kept alive all things 'space rock' in the  dark
days of the early nineties.

Check it out--_www.myspace.com/elderhead_ (http://www.myspace.com/elderhead)

Bill Stewart

5 Travel Deals!