OFF: Re: Heaven and Hell

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Sep 8 17:40:14 EDT 2008

On 08 Sep 2008, at 15:04 , gary shindler wrote:
> It's interesting to see Dio get his due now. While he was with
> first with Sabbath there seemed to be so much mudslinging between
> the Sabbath and Ozzy camps.

'Course I was about 9 then! :)

On the other hand, '80s metal seems to be enjoying a retro-
renaissance.  A decade ago everyone was still excited about the
original Sabbath lineup's influence on grunge, and that lineup was
just dusting off for their reunion (which, other than loads of
subsequent tours, never produced much new).  And perhaps it's now
just Dio's turn. :)

Mmm, checking it now, I still think Dehumanizer sounds kinda dodgy --
but the same songs in the current live touring are amazing. :)

I also think there's always something to hear when Iommi's playing,
even in that rather rough late 80s period.  And even though Hughes
vocals are not my favorite, I think the Iommi _Fused_ album has some
monster stuff on it.  So I also think there's not unreasonable hope
for the "Mob Rules" lineup squeezing out a decent new album.

> I really like "Rainbow Rising" and think it could be interesting if
> he worked with Ritchie Blackmore again. Unfortunately Cozy Powell's
> out of the picture and Blackmore's playing renaissance festival music.

Yeah, I don't see that reunion happening anytime real soon! ;)  On
the other hand, having come to terms with Dio-era Sabbath, I know
that I oughta go check out Rainbow some more.  (However, when I go
listen to _Holy Diver_ it still doesn't do that much for me.)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/